Our Handmade Wood Surfaces
So, what are these "Burnables" we keep talking about?
You've probably heard us talk about Burnables on all of our social platforms, but you might not know what they are exactly.
The basic answer? They're wood surfaces and items you can create on.
The more elaborate answer? Well, "Burnables" is the term we coined for the specialty wood surfaces we make for artists, crafters, & DIYers, not just pyrographers. We make all of these specialty wood pieces ourselves. We make BEAUTIFUL bowls, cutting boards, panels, canvases, ornaments, and so much more out of spectacular local woods like walnut, cherry, sassafras, poplars, cedar, maples, and so many others.
Burnables are wood surfaces, but they're so much more. They're really nice. Like... really, really nice. They're really special. What do I mean? Let me tell you.
- They're handmade
- They're completely sanded smooth
- They're practically blemish-free
- They're sustainably made
- They're made from responsibly harvested wood
- They're made from locally sourced wood from Central PA and surrounding states
- They're made from all sorts of wood species
- They offer unique crafting and art-making experiences
- They elevate the status of your art or project to the next level
- They complement the styles of artists. Do you want to make beautiful art but on crappy wood? No, you don't.
- They add value to your artwork
- They make your art stand out from everyone else
- They provide exquisite diversity in a seemingly limited market
- They're made by us in our little basement workshop
And the best part?
- They're literally made with love. We pour our heart and souls and blood, sweat, and tears into these bad boys. We quite literally lose sleep over them, but we also quite literally rejoice over them. We are real humans making something we truly believe in, and are trying to get the world to see just how beautiful wood is.
So that's what our "Burnables" are. They're exquisite handmade wood surfaces.
You might be wondering how we came into this niche and why we make Burnables. Well, we came into this by noticing a dilemma. Let's talk about that for a minute.
You know how you can go into any Hobby Lobby or Michael's, or heck, even Walmart, and find cheap wood surfaces in the craft section? Well, you can't walk into a Hobby Lobby and find sassafras or walnut. You can't walk into a Michael's and find a rainbow poplar cutting board. You can't go to Walmart and find a sweet cherry canvas. All you'll find is birch or basswood. And good Lord, there are SO many other beautiful woods out there that are amazing for art & DIY projects.
Most of the wood pieces you find at a craft store are either birch or basswood, or are cheap chintzy cutout pieces made from birch plywood or some wood-like surface with a cheap birch veneer on top.
Now hear me out. There's nothing "wrong" with these options, okay? The cheap cutout birdhouses or heart cutouts are totally fine for kid-friendly DIYs. They're great for kids to draw and paint on. They're great for any project where you need cheap wood. Have a pre-school class that needs hearts for Mother's Day handprints? Have a girl scout group that is painting and decorating birdhouses? These super cheap wood pieces are great options for you.
The basswood planks and the birch rounds you can find are nicer, as they are "real wood." All of the solid-wood options in stores are kiln-dried pieces of wood that come from companies that manufacture and process large quantities of wood for commercial use. You can find the same birch rounds and basswood planks at any Michaels in the U.S., and that's great! That means these companies have a steady and sustainable business for consistently providing the same wood products year after year.
But... that's it. That's all the craft stores carry. What about even better wood surfaces that are artist-grade? What about different wood species? Are you really limited to just basswood and birch? What if you were looking for something nicer? Where do you go for that? Facebook Marketplace? Hmm....
This is where we come in!
We noticed this hole in the market and built our business around this dilemma. We are SO EXCITED to be able to fill this need! We LOVE when our customers say things like "This is 1000 times better than the wood at Michael's" or "OMG IT'S SO SMOOTH! I DIDN'T NEED TO SAND IT AT ALL!"
Like, YES! This is exactly what we're aiming for! Beautiful wood pieces that don't cost an arm and a leg and that are artist-grade for the nicest of art but available enough for the DIYer who wants something different to DIY on. Doesn't matter if you're a pyrographer, a painter, a fabric artist, or whatever else. Do you want to create something? Yes. Can you use this wood? Also yes.
You wanna know a secret? I already hinted at it... our "Burnables" aren't just for woodburning. What, really?! Yeah, really really!
Although we coined the term "Burnables" to reference these specialty wood pieces, they're not just for pyrographers to woodburn on. They can be used in all kinds of art! Like, REALLY REALLY! Here is a looooong list of things you can do with our wood pieces:
- Pyrography, of course
- Wood carving
- Dremel engraving
- Laser engraving
- Mandala art
- Photo transfers
- Decoupage and embellishment projects
- Family name signs
- Handmade gameboards
- Photography props (think food, jewelry display)
- DIY signs
- DIY chalkboard signs
- Table centerpieces for candles/vases
- Table place setting "chargers"
- Fiber art
- Macrame Art
- Wedding decor & props
- Wedding gifts
- Teacher gifts
- Nursery keepsakes
- Heirloom keepsakes
- Baby shower gifts
- Housewarming gifts
- and the list goes on...